The Mozilla Festival took place this last past weekend! Mozfest is the first of three Global Leadership events we’re leveraging to empower a cohort of Participation Leaders in their goals for 2016. This first group of 30 represents those whose goals strongly focused on developing and delivering programs that build skills (leadership and otherwise) of Mozillians.
— Ioana Chiorean (@ioana_cis) November 7, 2015
Mozfest is the perfect place to meet kindred spirits, make new and valuable connections, and to experiment and get feedback in real time. Everything including sessions themselves, lend to hackability and spontaneous invention, the environment encourages a bravery to reach inside ourselves, and to recognize our potential to be the change we want to see in the world .
It was very very exciting to be a part of designing an experience for this group that included pre-event coaching, facilitator training, and leadership workshops led by George Roter. We also hosted the first ever ‘Participation Space’ at Mozfest which was filled with sessions and activities the entire weekend. I wanted to share a few moments that stood out for me, with a sneak peek into what’s next.
- Adriano Capello’s Workshop “Leadership Games” , saw people sitting around a table with bags on their heads laughing and learning about leadership while making things. This session would have continued long past the end-time if participants had their way.
- Gloria Dwomoh’s ‘Getting Started with Open Source‘ session. This was her first-ever facilitation session, she did a great job. The smile on her face made my day – a facilitator was born :)
- Watching Christos mentor Gloria in a session on Scaling the Learning and Leading program at Mozilla. Helping her find that thing she was good at, and could teach. Huge talent.
- Saran Mansouri – Hacking Flexigons, took place in the Youth Zone, and by all accounts her session engaged a tricky group of learners in a big way.
- Tools for Growing an Inclusive Diverse Community by Larissa Shaprio was one of our best attended sessions in the Participation Space – thrilled to see this topic as part of our leadership focus.
- George Roter’s Leadership Kickoff story about Farmers and Farming, ask him to tell it to you in the context of community leadership. Super inspiring.
- ‘The Internet Box’ a quick design by one of our cohort during the kickoff that showed the Internet as a box, with two doors. One door is Mozilla, one was through proprietary, privacy threatening orgs. Same technology, same box two doors, which would you choose? Brilliant.
- Firefox OS App Building session by Errietta Kostala , saw engagement of new developers wanting to contribute to FFOS, and for the win – they were connected with project leads for Firefox OS Smart TVs.
- Ioana, Michael and Henrik who joined us on their own time – ran sessions or otherwise made the space much more amazing because they were there. Special thanks to Ioana, and Flore for help with space setup. Also cheese and chocolate from Flore ;)
- The Participation Museum! A collection of items
- The leadership wrap up! By far my favorite moment as everyone sharpened their goals for 2016 and wore the Participation ‘cape’ to share their first milestone.
As the ‘space wrangler’ for Participation, I didn’t get out much :) but still managed these inspiring moments. Looking forward to reading the blog posts of our entire cohort on their Mozfest moments. Here are more photos of our caped cohort!
Next up, we’ll be holding our first call for those who attend Mozfest, and launching connective efforts to bring in those who have yet to attend an event, or who sadly missed this one because of Visa issues. Lots of goodness ahead!